Women Scientist And Entrepreneurs – Game Changers Driving Science For New India Women Bio-Tech Incubator At Golden Jubilee Women Biotech Park Inaugurated
Chennai : Dr. Harshvardhan, Union Ministry of Science & Technology has inaugurated Women Bio-Tech Incubator at Golden Jubilee BioTech Park for women in presence of Prof. M. S. Swaminathan, Founder Chairman, Women Biotech Park, and State Minister of Industry, Government of Tamilnadu – Shri M C Sampath.
During the address of Conclave, Dr. Harshvardhan said that globally there has been a special focus on issues related to Women in Science and farming policy for the same. He also said that Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has a serious concern about the women empowerment so he always tries to start that such schemes which will create employment opportunities for women and help to empower the women.
Further Dr. HarshVardhan said that Indian women had a major presence in the field of Science & Technology since past 100 years. The first women to receive a medical doctorate degree was Anandibai Joshee in 1885, the first Indian women Doctorate in Basic Science was Janaki Ammal in 1931 and India’s first woman to get a doctorate of science from an Indian university was Asima Chatterjee in 1944. All these women have a laid a very strong foundation for women in science in India. In the last few years, Indian Government has been a special focus on “Women Empowerment. The DST and DBT have special schemes to attract women scientists and to provide employment opportunities to the unemployed women scientists. Women Entrepreneurship is a very important activity that has been growing rapidly in last few years. “Start up India” and “Stand up India” announced by Hon’ble Prime Minister are initiatives which offer tremendous opportunities to the women entrepreneurs.
Highlights of Conclave
- Women Scientist & Entrepreneurs Conclave at IISF was inaugurated by the Hon’ble Union Minister Dr. Harsh Vardhan
- The conclave highlighted the increasing role of women in science based start-ups and entrepreneurship programmes
- The aim of the programme was to motivate young women to pursue science/entrepreneurship and explore new vistas of opportunities.
- Conclave inaugurated by Dr. Sowmya Swaminathan, DG, ICMR, it showcased the strength and achievements of women in science and entrepreneurship
- The Exhibition at the conclave was inaugurated by Dr. Sowmya Swaminathan, DG, ICMR, Government of India and Secretary, DBT